Jul 12, 2021
Managing Editor for Texts and Translations
In geveb, the online journal of Yiddish Studies, seeks a part-time (8-10 hours per week) Translations Editor to coordinate the Texts and Translation section for the 2021-2022 academic year, with the possibility to renew the contract in subsequent years.
The Translations Editor will be responsible for coordinating the submission, review, editing, and publishing process of translations for In geveb. The Translations Editor will be part of the core editorial team for In geveb, which oversees all of the day-to-day work of the journal. The Translations Editor will therefore have an important leadership role in the journal as a whole and will be asked to work collaboratively on the overall publication of the journal.
The ideal candidate will have excellent Yiddish as well as experience translating from Yiddish and be knowledgeable about Yiddish literature and culture. Editorial experience with English language publishing is a plus. The Translations Editor must be organized and able to manage their own work, often juggling multiple projects, as well as become a part of the team effort that produces the journal.
- Oversee the review process of translation submissions and personally review submissions as necessary
- Edit accepted translations, including reading through submissions line-by-line comparing with original to make suggestions and corrections
- Obtain or retype Yiddish texts to accompany the translations
- Work with English and Yiddish copy editors to prepare texts for final publication
- Upload translations to the website
- Communicate with contributors about submissions, review process, and publication
- Keep records of translation submissions and works in progress.
- Participate in other sections of the journal and other organizational work as necessary, including reading and advising on submissions to other sections, working with the editorial board, participating in fundraising and events, etc.
- Attend online meetings (roughly every other week) of the core editorial staff and the annual editorial board meeting at the AJS either in-person or virtually.
- Compile the annual feature: Latest Yiddish Translations
- Confidence in Yiddish reading, speaking, and writing; experience translating from Yiddish; experience with YIVO transcription a plus
- Experience editing English language materials
- Organized and able to self-manage
- Experience working with Google Drive
- Good digital communication and teamwork skills
- Candidate should either have experience working in a CMS (bonus points for Craft), as well as BaseCamp and MailChimp or should at least be in possession of computer literacy and a willingness to learn
Position can begin as early as September 1, 2021 and lasts for one year. Approximately 8-10 hours a week. $5,700 to $7,200 stipend, to be determined by the successful applicant’s time commitment and final responsibilities.
To Apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to [email protected] by August 20, 2021.